Oldcarpet Real Persian Rugs
Posted Massage:
 *Posted by Don on April 02, 2003 at 09:42:56:
 *In Reply to: QUM 1865 KPSI... is this possible? posted by Farid on March 29, 2003 at 00:13:55:
 *Message was: Well, I'm not an expert by any means, but I was told that I should be careful in counting knots, because if the rug was made with only one layer of warps, each knot wraps around two warps and can look like two knots from the back of the rug. If the rug has two layers of warps, the knot wraps around one warp in each layer (upper and lower), so from the back of the rug it looks like only one knot (since you're only seeing the lower layer).

If that's what happened in your case (the single layer of warps) you would divide the 1865 by two to get the actual KPSI. Even so, that would be about 930 KPSI which is still an extremely high count (about 12 knots per centimeter). I have a nice Qum with 10 knots per centimeter that I am told is of very high quality.

: Hi I'm a newbie... Learning about Persian "treasures". I saw a BEAUTIFUL Qum silk carpet and I counted the knots, and I get 1865 KPSI... is this "too much" for a silk Qum? Or is this figure real?

: Thanks

*Follow Ups:
 Post a Followup

Name:
 E-Mail:
 Subject:
 Comments: 

Link URL(Optional):
 Link Title:
 Image URL(Optional):

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion for oldcarpet.com ] [ Home ]