Oldcarpet Real Persian Rugs
Posted Massage:
 *Posted by oldcarpet on February 05, 2003 at 15:56:11:
 *In Reply to: Price vs. Quality, Confused posted by Michele on February 05, 2003 at 08:27:52:
 *Message was: Hello Michele:

Here is my take on your questions:

>I've decided to purchase two rugs the following are the specs:
Two 9 x 12
Vegetable dye
over 140 kpsi
jewel tones
city rugs not tribal
All your requirements are fine except the Vegetable dye part. There are not very many new rugs that are truly Vegetable Dye, at least not the Persian Rugs. There are, however some in the Indian (Indo-Persian) and Pakistan (Pak-Persian) that CLAIM to be Vegetable dye, but I have my doubts. Generally speaking, most rugs after 1950's in Iran are synthetic dyes.
>> My confusion is price. I'm not quite certain what the sizes I wish command. Based on my homework it appears when the size goes to 9 x 12 there is a significant jump in price. In addition, to when the kpsi is in excess of 120. However, I need clarification.

Most rugs are in the 7X10 size range as it fits many home and room environments; therefore, there is less of the larger size. For that reason the price jumps. I would however, try to look at price/square feet to do a fair comparison.
KPSI is definitely a major factor in price, generally the higher KPSI the higher the price.
Aside from your color scheme, once you decided on a couple of rugs, the best approach would be to compare price vs. designs. If you tell me that you have found two Tabrizes (9X12) with KPSI of 300+, with silk highlights, with $5000/each asking price, I would say go for it, even in this depressed market. On the other hand if you are looking at 2 older kashans, same size, KPSI of 120, I would not pay more than $1500 per piece. Again this is a rough guideline. At the end of the day, you should buy what you like at a price that you feel comfortable with.

Good wishes,

*Follow Ups:
 Post a Followup

Name:
 E-Mail:
 Subject:
 Comments: 

Link URL(Optional):
 Link Title:
 Image URL(Optional):

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion for oldcarpet.com ] [ Home ]