Oldcarpet Real Persian Rugs
Posted Massage:
 *Posted by erolby on October 14, 2002 at 14:30:00:
 *In Reply to: Re: Hello Forum - Gabber - HALIKiLiMCi . com posted by Afshin Nejad on October 14, 2002 at 12:59:31:
 *Message was: Afshin, to me, the exact root of the word "Gabbeh" is a Turkic. The original root should be "Gaba" meaning that thick, vulgar, rude, coarse, etc [in turkic languages, one word may have many meanings]. We can also call a dense, high pile rug too as "gaba hali" which is a generalized description of such rugs. Its opposition of "gaba hali" is "fine rug" (ince hali.) Remember there are similar rugs with high pile, but not densed piles. They are known as "tulu" rugs which originated from the turkic word "tuylu" meaning "shaggy" in English.

Gaba is only a version [probably oldest version] of this word. Another version in Turkey turkich is Kaba. I believe Qashkai people pronouncing it as Gabbe or Gabbeh as they have had interaction with Persian people for long time.

So, it is my opinion that "Gaba Rugs" are not belong to only Qashqai people as the word is a generalized name of such kinds of rugs (with high and dense piles.) Nevertheless, "Gaba" or "Gabbeh" rugs have become famous after Qashqai people's special designs and motifs. So, credits to them for Gabbeh rugs. It is similar to Hereke (Turkish) silk rugs. As you probably know, Hereke rugs are originated from Persia due to their styles/motifs which are floral unlike Turkish rugs which are geometric. But Turkish people have made it Hereke silk rug famous in the world. Same here for Gabbeh which is originally Turkish, but known as a Persian rug now. Credit to the both.

*Follow Ups:
 Post a Followup

Name:
 E-Mail:
 Subject:
 Comments: 

Link URL(Optional):
 Link Title:
 Image URL(Optional):

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion for oldcarpet.com ] [ Home ]