Oldcarpet Real Persian Rugs
Posted Massage:
 *Posted by Afshin Nejad on October 14, 2002 at 12:59:31:
 *In Reply to: Hello Forum - Gabber - HALIKiLiMCi . com posted by erolby on October 13, 2002 at 16:24:39:
 *Message was: Dear Erol

I truly appreciate your nice comments about Oldcarpet message board. This message board belongs to you and all other rug lovers in the world. Every body welcome till they are talking about rugs and carpets issues!

You were asking about the word "Gabbeh".

Let's start with, what is Gabbeh?

Gabbeh is an interesting tribal rug. It was made for personal use for tribal people of QASHAI. Gabbeh rugs are usually are very soft with long pile (at least original ones). The majority of Gabbeh have simple plain format with one or two small animal on their pattern.
Gabbeh rugs were very popular in 80's in Europe. They are getting popular in South and North America as demand for simplistic pattern increase.

OK! Let's go to terminology of GABBEH!

The world GABBEH means "unclipped". The majority of Gabbeh rugs are made by Qashqai tribe of southern Iran. The QASHQAI are the second largest Turkic group in IRAN. The QASHQAI are a confederation of several Turkic-speaking tribes in southern IRAN numbering about 250,000 people.

I do NOT know the exact root of the word "Gabbeh" and I am not sure if it is 100% Persian word or Turkish!
It may be a Turkish word as Qashqai is Turkic-speaking tribe.
Hopefully some other knowledgeable people like you are able to answer the question. I am just adding some information about Gabbeh and I am also looking for the answer.

Thank You
Afshin Nejad

More Info about "GABBEH"!
 *Follow Ups:
 Post a Followup

Name:
 E-Mail:
 Subject:
 Comments: 

Link URL(Optional):
 Link Title:
 Image URL(Optional):